Tuesday, June 09, 2009

High Noon

While playing Farm Town Judy and I have gotten into the habit of listening to TV. We're working our way through Hogan's Heroes (up to the middle of season five so far) and over the weekend we re-watched Yankee Doodle Dandy for the umpteenth time. Tonight after the stormy weather passed (chuckle chuckle) we ended up on TCM and since the power had flickered two or three times the cable info button had forgotten the name and synopsis of the movie. It was an odd tale about a British army man and his German counterpart around the time of World War I through World War II. Turns out it was called The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Since the main character was Clive Candy, I don't know exactly where Officer Blimp came in to it. The lead actors were played by unknowns (to me anyway) but Deborah Kerr played three different characters. She ended up married to both men and then was General Candy's driver when he was put in charge of England's Home Guard. Anyway--I kept thinking the German officer was played by Errol Flynn--he has that look as you can see in a picture from a scene in the movie. (He's the guy in the picture when the head bandage.) One of many funny bits, both men fought a duel in the movie before becoming friends. They had facial injuries which required 12 and 8 stitches respectively, they were both put in a "nursing home" for eight weeks to recover. I couldn't figure out why they were in wheelchairs. A scar of your forehead and lip don't usually require such drastic treatment! Anyway--this post started out as a comment on High Noon--if I can only get there. I just do not get this movie. It doesn't seem suspenseful to me at all. And what's with all the clock shots. Can we say overkill? I get it already the guy's life is LITERALLY ticking away...except, oops--he doesn't die--so not so much after all. As you can tell I am a movie cretin.

No comments: