Sunday, February 15, 2009

Five Guys Five Times a Week?


As people who read my twin Judy's blog may know, a Five Guys opened up close to our house in a much nicer part of town than the Five Guys we ordinarily frequent. Being lazy, this suited us to a T, and we were very happy. We bopped first chance on a Saturday and we actually ate in the restaurant (a very unusual occurrence for us). We liked it so much we probably would have gone back the next day but I had already gotten out hamburger for spaghetti. Since there are just two of us--we ate spaghetti the next two meals in a row. There's still some left over in the fridge, in fact, but I have issues with food after a certain number of days and I'M not eatin' it now.

Moving on, here, the result of this sequence of Five Guys, Spaghetti, Spaghetti, was that Tuesday was the next available slot for Five Guys. And so we went. We didn't eat in that time as it was after dark. (I don't like being out after dark. What can I say? I have many, many, many quirks.) This meal too was very good, but I was satisfied. I had no immediate plans to go back again for a little while.

I'm sure most people wouldn't have to even think about whether or not they wanted to eat in the same restaurant again, but Judy and I have inherited an odd quirk (hmm, that word is coming up a lot here) from our mother. We like eating the same thing over and over and over. I remember one month where we fixed the same meal (Chicken patties on a bun with french fries) twenty times. After we eat the same thing over and over like that. we don't always go back to that food again. For example, we don't have chicken patty sandwiches anymore, fyi. I don't know if we just saturate ourselves or what. This never seems to happen with donuts either, which again, could explain the size of my rear.

Anyway--I wasn't planning to go to Five Guys--but a funny thing happened on the way to the coliseum. Every week our friend Saba comes over for dinner. We eat dinner together and watch Real Housewives or Eli Stone or Pushing Daisies--before they cancelled the last two shows anyway. Wednesday evening, Saba called as she was leaving work to ask what was for dinner. I had to confess to her that I had no idea. Judy and I were planning a run to the grocery store to get something but Judy wasn't home yet. (She works late a lot. A LOT.) Saba was dee-lighted to hear this because she had a yen for a burger...and you guessed it, she volunteered to stop by Five Guys on her way home.

So that is how I ended up eating Five Guys three nights out of five. It is also the way that Judy discovered that she likes ketchup and mustard on a hotdog. Frankly, I can't believe that she's in her forties and has never had a hotdog with ketchup and mustard, but I'll let her blog about that.




No comments: