Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Unexpected Snow Day

So I got up as usual this morning, early enough so that I could drink my morning coffee and eat my breakfast pop-tart while perusing the internet. I have a list of blogs that I check at least twice a day. I also run through my list of newspapers. Then I usually like to play at least one game of Zuma. All this before I shower and get ready for work.

It's kinda funny, really--I am NOT a morning person. In my younger days I fine-tuned the art of staying in bed until the last possible second before jumping up and getting ready. I screeched into the parking lot of my school as the bell was ringing. (Yes, the first place I taught actually had a bell that rang when the teachers were supposed to be there.) As I have gotten *ahem, cough cough* older, I find I can't sleep as long. Sometimes my eyes POP open and that's it. No more sleep. I can't decide if I hate that part of aging or not.

A secondary factor to my early rising is the whole coffee thing. My obsession with coffee was kick-started by my boss Mike. When he took over as principal for my building--he and Cindy (then-assistant principal) brought their coffee addictions with them. Suddenly the office was filled with the aroma of coffee. Then they bought the Keurig, making it so easy to get a cuppa joe. Now I have a Keurig at home and a four cup a day habit. Happily, I'm still decaffienated except for the first cup.

Anyway, I digress, which is nothing new for those who know me, but...So I got up as usual this morning and read through my blog list in order, hitting the list of newspapers last. I opened up the Carroll County Times page and WHOA!! Discovered the surprise of the day---SNOW DAY. An unexpected snowfall fell overnight and CCPS is closed. Woohoo, it's your birthday. The Happy Snow Day dance followed. Then I ran (okay walked quickly) to Judy's room and rubbed her face in it. Nothing gets those business types depressed faster than a teacher off for a snow day. Picture me cackling.

2 comments:

shirley said...

So I guess that makes up for the snow day you didn't get on Monday....

Robin said...

Yes it does. It might even be considered better--because it was a completely unexpected surprise.