Thursday, September 07, 2006

Project Runway-Couture Gown

It's a good day when you learn something new. I learned that the French government controls the use of the word 'couture' to describe fashion just like they control the use of the word 'champagne' when describing sparkling wine. Hmm. There you go, day not wasted. Apparently, hand-sewing is a key factor in designating a dress 'couture'. I now realize that my entire childhood was spent wearing couture. My mother was a phenomenal seamstress and she sewed all the clothes my sisters and I wore. She was particularly skilled at buttonholes and making loop closures for buttons by hand. When she finally was able to buy a sewing machine that made the buttonholes for her, it was a happy, happy day. She apparently didn't realize the exclusivity of that hand-sewing or I'm sure she would have continued to do it for the sake of her children. (All my sisters are now laughing their rears off, btw, because my mother was all about speed. Get it done! Hey, she had SIX kids. Oy.)

Meanwhile, our designers are in Paris and get the word that the new challenge will involve creating a couture gown in two days. Oh no! Two days and hand-sewing--the challenges really are getting harder. They have a relatively big budget of $375.00. But first, everyone gets to go out to dinner with Tim. I think dinner with Tim would be worth all the loss of sleep associated with this show. Our designers work hard and voila! dresses are eventually complete.

Vincent wastes so much time that he ends up gluing ribbons and a flower on his dress, he also glues the hem. This is a problem what with hand-sewn hems being one of the hallmarks of couture. Michael decides to ruch his bodice--so what if he's never sewn anything by hand. Nothing? What about mending--doesn't everyone sew little mending jobs by hand? Maybe he's not counting that. Anyway, I'm not sure that this particular moment was a good time to learn to handsew--but hey--that could be just me. Laura elects to create a super simple gown with extravagant collar and cuffs. The collar is so extravagant that she takes a whole day to hand sew it. Unfortunately a day's worth of handsewing looks very similar to an hour's worth of machine sewing to me. Maybe you had to see it up close to fully appreciate it. Jeffrey, continuing to be obnoxious, is convinced that only he is capable of creating a "real" couture gown. Okaayy. Whatever. Kayne makes an elaborate boned corset for his bodice and hand cuts and adds beading and lace. Uli...well...see previous post.

Laura's collar doesn't survive the trip back from Paris with the same exuberance. It also barely survived the dreaded "looks like French maid's outfit" insult.
Kayne keeps getting knocked for having questionable taste. Hmm..I LOVE this gown and I thought it was gorgeous on the runway. What should I infer about my own taste?
Okay, Jeffrey can channel Vivienne Westwood. Yeah, it's audicous. Yeah, his model worked it like nobody's business on the runway. I still don't like the big jerk.
Luscious color, why ruch? And, oh yeah, those weird humps are better tucked under. Is it a good sign or a bad sign when the judges improve your design with a simple tuck? Michael still rocks though.

I've always wanted to wear curtain material as a skirt. And why does the top have to be cute? Is that like, a rule in couture? Poor deluded Vincent--still utterly convinced in Vincent-land that he should be in the finals.

So last nights show? Auf outcome: satisfactory. Winner: ugh. Who will make the final? I'm still predicting Laura, Michael, and hoping for Kayne. Come on...admit it...wouldn't you love love love to see what he might put out there in a collection? Viva Las Kayne? An Elvis/Las Vegas blend of exuberance and excess with beautiful construction. Next week: the Olsen twins if the preview is to be believed. Gosh, the designers should be able to go ape on material--after all--how much fabric is needed to cover an Olsen twin? Like a yard and a half? ;o)

8 comments:

Robin said...

Most of the comments that I've seen online have been positive about Kayne's dress--clearly the American public is afflicted with the same lack of taste as Kayne according to the judges. Fact is--the judges are snobs.

Anonymous said...

kayne's dress is the only one I would personally buy! It was an absolutely fabulous design and cut and fitted the model perfectly. It was elegant and the laces just blew me away. he should have won that challenge.

Anonymous said...

good morning fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were approximately 250 dollars everwhere. But finally I set this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices as regards the velcros were approximately 180 dollars everwhere. But for all I bring about this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that singular make. The prices seeking the shoes were approximately 310 dollars everwhere. But finally I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that exact brand. The prices as regards the shoes were around 180 dollars on every page. But definitively I set this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Wangfujing Street is a further commercial terrace which also reflects the veteran Beijing. Visitors can depraved traditional people handicrafts, different forms of ethnic guild crafts and souvenirs in the street.

[url=http://www.byherveleger.com/christian-louboutin-boots-c-44.html]christian louboutin boots thigh high[/url] oscar de la renta bridal 2010 christian louboutin shoes sale marni handbags 2010 christian louboutin pronounciation