Monday, March 20, 2006

Reading List

Since last week I've been re-reading two of my favorite book series by David Eddings which are collectively known as the Belgariad and the Mallorean. Each series is comprised of five separate but chronological and continuing novels which tell the story of a confrontation between good and evil. I've loved the series for years and every now and then I bring it out and re-visit it. As I like to think of it, before Harry Potter there was Garion. The stories follow a young boy through his growth to manhood while he's completing a quest and fighting evil with a group of companions and helpers. There's lots of magic, which is always fun. My favorite thing about the series, however, is the sheer likeability of the characters who inhabit the world. In the first series there are..hmm. how many characters...let's count 'em up. Garion, Belgarath, Polgara, Durnik, Silk, Barak, Ce'Nedra, Mandorallen, Lelldorin, Hettar, Relg, Taiba...Beldin...I think you are getting the idea. Lest this intimidate you from the reading the series, it isn't confusing because they are added slowly and logically into the story and they are written very distinctly. You never have to worry about getting so and so confused with who and go. If you know what I mean. The Belgariad gets my highest recommendation.

No comments: