Friday, January 02, 2009

All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Most everyone has probably heard of the book, "All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". I haven't read it and I didn't go to kindergarten, but Judy and I are using kindergarten centers as a model for how to more consistently fit our hobbies into our lives. Tiredness and inertia after a long day of work seem to sap all desire to haul out the scrap booking supplies, or my book project, or cross-stitch projects. Zuma, that addicting computer game, can seduce us into losing hours of the evening. Zoning out in front of the tv watching junk I don't even like (Smoking Guns: World's Stupidest Criminals comes to mind.) can devour my life. So, as part of a "new year's" reorganization we are going to set up "centers" in our home. In the den we'll have the puzzle center set up. (That tea party puzzle has turned out to be a real doozy.) The dining room table is going to be the scrap booking center. The desktop computer can be the book project zone. We may switch out some centers for others as we see what works best. I'm hoping that Judy's cross-stitch Nativity may be done by next Christmas. I'm hoping my book project can be ready to submit to a publisher by summer. And maybe when we make a visit to Indiana we can show Emily and Karen some completed scrapbook pages at last. Finally, the book challenge may actually discipline my reading habits so that I can get through my substantial to-be-read stack. Fingers-crossed.

No comments: