Saturday, September 09, 2006

Feet--Critical to Happiness

I know you will think this post is about a shoe like this...but it's not.

I made a mistake earlier this week. I wore a bad pair of shoes to work. You know the kind--they look good but by 9:00 your feet are saying, "uh uh" this ain't gonna work. By 11:00, you are muttering under your breath because you didn't put an extra pair in the car. By 2:00 you are stepping gingerly, as if you have a rocks in your shoes. By 4:00, you are fantasizing about how you will feel when you take your shoes off the minute you hit your front door.

Thinking about taking the shoes off--usually you only make the mistake of doing that during the work day once in your life and then you learn a powerful lesson about how feet swell and while it's easy to take your feet out, putting them back in is a different story. The bad shoe dilemma reminded me of this important big of sage wisdom: Hurting feet beat everything. If your feet hurt--it is ALL you can think about. Seriously, review your memories. When you have a blister...or your shoes are too tight...or too high...or too too. Can you concentrate? Aren't you constantly aware of the throbbing in your extremities? How much more might women have accomplished through the ages but for suffering intermittently from bad shoes which distracted us.

On that note I was inspired to collect some quotes about feet:

Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?
Lily Tomlin

Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?
Frida Kahlo 1907 - 1954)

No one tests the depth of a river with both feet.
African Proverb

A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Anonymous

Bad news goes about in clogs; good news travels in stocking feet.
Welsh Proverb

A man's feet should be planted in his country; but his eyes should survey the world.
George Santayana (1863 - 1952)

If the riches of the Indies, or the crowns of all the kingdoms of Europe were laid at my feet in exchange for my love of reading. I would spurn them all.
Francois Fenelon

My bad shoe day was actually caused by a shoe like this...unexpected, si?

No comments: